Our network

Fire breaks out in Schenectady early Friday morning | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Fire breaks out in Schenectady early Friday morning
News

SCHENECTADY - An early morning apartment fire in Schenectady was started by a candle.

The fire started around 5 a.m. Friday morning at the back of 708 Union Street. Firefighters say flames burned through the roof, and spread to the building next door.

Firefighters say a downstairs resident told investigators she left a candle burning for three days at a shrine she had set up and that she was home at the time of the fire.

Smoke detectors in the apartment did go off and the six people inside got out safely.

The building sustained damage to the walls and into the attic. The residence at 706 Union Street was also damaged because it shares a wall with 708.

The Schenectady fire chief would like to remind people to not leave candles burning in their homes. The chief says the number of fires started by candles has increased in the last few years.

News

Schenectady City Deals

Upcoming Events near Schenectady City

Community Sponsors

Wedding Photographer